Day Seven


 Day Seven:

I feel myself becoming morose.
Pin on All Smiles & Emotions

I’m a cheerful person usually, weathering life’s many storms and fighting on.

In fact our family motto is:  Numquam desistas, numquam dare in -  Never give up; Never give in and it has stood me in good stead during 73 years of a less than peaceful (but extremely interesting) life. 

I’m also by nature an optimist , so I don’t expect to feel glum for long but today has been just a bit scratchy.

‘It won’t be long before this is all over,’ said my cheerful friend during her weekly phone call, “to check up on you elderly and housebound”. 
She  continued,  ‘and you’ll be able to kick up your heels and celebrate.’

It's been many a long year since I could kick up anything other than a fuss and  at the moment, with the death toll still rising and people not allowed to attend the tangihanga and funerals of their loved ones,  I’m not sure I’m up for a celebration.

The only thing I want to kick right now is my cheerful friend.

We are still at Level 4 and the statistics world-wide show that New Zealand is doing better at containment than any other developed country due to the stringent rules brought in early and enforced by our Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern. 

Jacinda Ardern - Wikipedia
 These restrictions were so much resented at the time and there were many who felt they could be flouted but that was probably because they simply didn’t realise the implication and the virulence of C-19.    Or the mixed and very confusing messages of 'stay at home but it's fine to crowd en masse into supermarkets.'

Now everyone is aware and we are far more cautious and obedient. Most of the time.

It will pass and we’ll attend the kawe mate/memorials for those whom we’ve lost. 

The supermarkets will once more have a few hundred, rather than a few thousand crazy panic-stricken chooks crowding the aisles;  I will be able to see my darling grandson again.

There will be bluebirds over New Zealand's clover... 


 But not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog.

  The Aztecs were spiritual people and among their pantheon of deities was the goddess Mayahuel who gave birth to 400 rabbits which she fe...