Day Two


Day Two:
“Think of this:   the writer wrote alone, and the reader reads alone and they were alone with each other.” – A.S. Byatt.

Alas, I was away from home on my regular day for collecting books from my local library. They, along with my computer, are my  lifelines. 
One keeps me in touch with the world, the other with my soul.

I had 16 book waiting for me as we hit Level 4 - and no means of getting them.

This is far worse than having no food.

So here I am in in my suburban home, renamed 'Colditz', or should that be 'Fluditz', without my beloved books which languish in the library with my name on them.


I do own three and they will no doubt be listened to within an inch of their lives over the next few months.

Radio New Zealand once broadcast Philip Mann’s excellent science fiction series, ‘Master of Paxwax’ and its sequel, ‘Fall of the Families’. 

When these were sold on CD, I purchased both, despite not being a sci-fi fan.
The production itself was magnificent. 

 Dick Weir, the amazingly proficient narrator (an audio book stands or falls on the abilities of its reader), along with the sound effects department of RNZ, turned Phillp Mann’s great books into audio masterpieces.

The third treasure is Stephen Fry’s ‘Mythos’ - a re-telling in his inimitable style, of the Greek myths.  I’ve already listened to it twice but so far, have not tired of it.

It's a little gory in places but then the Gods were not kind, as no God ever seems to be but Fry's unconventional wit and delivery appeal to me.

In this time of Lockdown though, perhaps it's as well I have audio books which take me away from my own restricted world and into ones entirely different and alien.   







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog.

  The Aztecs were spiritual people and among their pantheon of deities was the goddess Mayahuel who gave birth to 400 rabbits which she fe...